Wednesday, June 27, 2012

And so it begins..

I am covered in dust.  As it is the last week of the school year, ambition and excitement got the best of me.  I have begun the arduous task of dismantling my former referecne collection.  While I still think that the shift towards a learning commons takes place in the minds of its patrons, there are also physical changes that need to take place before the fancy new equipment arrives. 
I have thought a great deal about worth.  In particular what makes a book valuable to a school library.  It is difficult to simply throw away books.  But, I have discovered that so many of the referenence books I was holding on to, had little purpose to my users.  Encyclopedias are now online, there are apps for dictionaries and atlases, and frankly, my students only turned to the reference collection when they were forced to.  In paring down this part of my collection, I have freed space in advance of the arrival of out whitewall. I know I am nowhere near complete, but there is something wonderfully liberating about purging yourself of clutter.  Up next: VHS Videos.



No comments:

Post a Comment